The End is Nigh



Strangely, I think I wouldn't have hated The End is Nigh when I was growing up with less demanding platformers. I don't hate it now, obviously - in fact, I think it might just be better than its predecessor. It's hard, and sometimes a little unfair when it comes to the single minded intensity with which you need to time your jumps, but the ultimate feeling is one of deep satisfaction. Growing up, I found much more harmless platformers more difficult, in a sense, because difficulty was kind of the benchmark. So otherwise colorful looking games showed a darkly vicious side to them when you least expected it. The End is Nigh is like the dark mirror image of a dark impulse most old school games still share, to this day. It's also a joy to play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celeste

The Last of Us

Hyper Light Drifter